Eyewitness News met Eric Crabbe as he was enjoying his night on the water at Mountain Island Lake. "I live down the road, come here fishing a couple times a week," he said. Eyewitness News has learned that the state has filed a lawsuit against Duke Energy, over that water. "The lawsuit alleges they are violating the law by having illegal discharges into Mountain Island Lake," ...
An emotional day of testimony in the murder trial of a two year old boy. Amias Robinson was gunned down back in 2010, while visiting family members in East Charlotte. Police say Ellis Royster fired shots at a car during a drug deal. They say Amias was struck several times and died days later. Today in court Amias' father, Charles Robinson, shouted, screamed and cursed at Royster during ...
Lowe's Home Improvement has pledged a million dollars to the tornado relief efforts. The Mooresville-based company said half of that will go to the Red Cross, and it plans to match NASCAR driver Jimmie Johnson's earnings from Sunday's race. The rest will go to nonprofits in the hardest hit ...
A Mecklenburg County budget proposal released to Channel 9 is asking for more of the communities' money. Eyewitness News went over the proposal Tuesday night to see what this will cost. The 150-page budget proposal was released on Tuesday night by interim County Manager Bobbie Shields. The plan is to increase property taxes by 2.5 cents a year. For a $200,000 home, that will cost an extra ...
begun in the project to widen the road to four lanes both ways with a bus lane in the middle. North Carolina Department of Transportation said that traffic will be shifted during the project, some bus routes will change, but businesses will still be accessible and pedestrians will be able to walk. Tuesday night residents had the chance to find out what to expect and ask ...
Rise of the Planet of the Apes [Blu-Ray]
Especially after the lukewarm reception of Tim Burtons glossy, action-packed 2001 reimagining, which ended with a Huh? cliffhanger that has yet to be resolved, it would be safe to say that there hasnt been much yearning for another entry in the Planet of the Apes ... ...
Leaders will vote Wednesday night on a controversial plan to put toll lanes on Interstate 77. Mumpo wants to put two high-occupancy toll lanes between I-277 and Cornelius, one in each direction. Cars with three or more people could use the lanes for free and so could emergency responders and motorcyclists. All others would have to pay to use the lanes. Opponents said the plan is too expensive ...
In this Jan. 23, 2013 file photo, Charlotte Bobcats owner Michael Jordan looks on from courtside during the second half of an NBA basketball game between the Charlotte Bobcats and the Atlanta Hawks in Charlotte, N.C. AP FILE PHOTO CHARLOTTE, North Carolina – NBA great Michael Jordan wants to get Charlotte buzzing again, applying to the NBA to re-name his Charlotte Bobcats the Hornets. If ...
The FBI is searching for a sex offender after agents said they found child pornography in his home. James Brian Webb was last seen during a search of his Concord home on Monday where agents found the images. Webb was wearing a tracking device because of several sex offense convictions. The FBI said he removed it in the Lincoln County town of Vale on Monday night. They believe Webb is driving ...
For the first time on Tuesday night, Gov. Pat McCrory talked about the massive protests at the state capital over Republican policies. "They want to keep the status quo. I am not in favor of keeping the status quo. We have got to fix broken operations in the state government, and in order to do that, I am stepping on the toes of the right, the left, the middle," said McCrory. Over the ...
Confirmation hearings begin on Wednesday for Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx's new position in Washington. Last month, President Obama nominated Foxx to be transportation secretary. The confirmation process will begin in ...
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Thistle Charing Cross
I had stayed at this hotel once before, some years previous, so was looking forward to a new review. The ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Charlotte StarCharlotte Star – News Updates from Charlotte and North Carolina
The Charlotte Star is essentially a local Charlotte newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Charlotte, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Charlotte, North Carolina, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Charlotte Star.
Anne Bronte, sister of Charlotte and Emily, has been given a new gravestone after 164 years to correct a mistake in the original.
Anne, who authored 'Agnes Grey' and 'The Tenant of Wildfell Hall,' died in Scarborough in 1849 after succumbing to tuberculosis at the age of 29.
But Anne's headstone in St Mary's Churchyard gave her age as 28.
Anne's original gravestone was refaced 3 years after her death, when Charlotte returned to discover five mistakes on it, the other errors were corrected but the age was not.
The Bronte Society installed the new plaque alongside the original that had deteriorated over the years, the BBC reported.
Society's Sally McDonald said that Anne was the quietest Bronte and can still sometimes be overlooked in favour of her sisters Charlotte and Emily.
She added that in some ways, though, she is now viewed as the most radical of the sisters, writing about tough subjects like women's need to maintain independence, and how alcoholism could tear a family apart. (ANI)
- Imran Khans PTI seeks pro-Taliban clerics help to initiate peace talks with outfit
- Brooklyn Beckham begins training with QPR following dads retirement
- Pak batsman Mohd Yousuf rubbishes media reports of retirement from intl cricket
- A tremendous guy David Bowie pays tribute to former bassist Trevor Bolder who died aged 62
- Retirement pay comes too late for former prosecutor
- New evidence supports theory of cosmic impact 12800 years ago
- Russian Space Ark Returns to Earth with Animal Crew Some Mice Die
- Garcetti builds lead as L.A. picks new mayor
- Immigration bill heads to full Senate
- 600 police photos of Tucson rampage scene released
- Instead Of Snoozing In Savings Lets Put $5000 To Work
- Teachers credited with saving students lives during Oklahomas tornado
- Nigeria $1bn fund to start investing
- Saveplan.com Launches Personal Financial Planning and Budget Forecasting Website
- Bucks Blog A $2400 Fine for an Airbnb Host
- T. rex cousin fed more like falcon than crocodile
- Microsoft launches all-in-one home entertainment system Xbox One
- Microsoft unveils new all-in-one Xbox console
- Microsoft Unveils New Xbox One Game Console
- Tax Evasion Dangerous for Europe Schulz
- MWC commish Playoffs wont stay at four teams
- Report Boises Ukwuachu transferring to Baylor
- McIlroy - Personalities clash
- Stralman may miss Game 4
- Yankees can set up 2014 pen on cheap
- Lily Cole to recieve honorary doctorate
- State of UK Wildlife winners and losers - in pictures
- The anti-nature narrative in UK politics is hard to fathom | Tony Juniper
- Photos $4.179M West Vancouver timber frame home
- Columbus State University Implements Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence Environment
- IFCI board room turns boxing ring CCO Tomar lands blows on V-P Arora
- Steve Bunce on Boxing Carl Froch handed rare chance of revenge with dream rematch
- Hopkins-Froch is as good as it gets on many levels
- First AIBA Pro Boxing bout set for South Korea in July
- Bellew detemined to deliver
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Charlotte Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- State says coal ash from Duke Energy is contaminating water
- Father of slain 2-year-old faces murderer in court Tuesday
- Lowes to donate $1M to Oklahoma victims
- Budget proposal asks for property tax increase by 2.5 cents
- Residents ask questions about Independence Blvd. construction