Channel 9 anchor Erica Bryant sat down for an exclusive interview with Paula Broadwell.Broadwell, who lives in Dilworth, was embroiled in a scandal earlier this year involving the former head of the CIA, David Petraeus.Broadwell talked openly about what happened, the effect on her marriage and the support she still has from the people of Charlotte.Watch the full interview only on Channel 9 ...
The business landscape is changing quickly, with an increasingly globalized economy and the digital revolution threatening to leave Charlotte behind if its business and political leaders aren’t careful. That warning came from multiple speakers Thursday at 2013 Global Charlotte, a breakfast symposium aimed at helping the city’s business leaders capitalize on global opportunities. ...
A tip led sheriff deputies in Catawba County to a home south of Claremont where they said they discovered one of the biggest meth labs in the state.Narcotics officers said they removed more than 100 pounds of chemicals from the home along Midnight Drive late Wednesday.More than 12 pounds of the liquid tested positive for methamphetamine, officials said.Neighbors said they were surprised to learn ...
A child safety seat is being credited with saving a 6-month-old baby involved in a serious crash in the Vale area.The accident happened shortly before 8 a.m. Thursday at the intersection of Highway 10 and Rhoney Farm Road.Witnesses said a car ran a stop sign and was broadsided by an SUV.A driver in a work van who was sitting at the intersection and who was also hit rushed to help after seeing ...
A man accused of rape pleaded not guilty Thursday morning.Police arrested Jerry Lee Brooks decades after they say he kidnapped and raped three women in Charlotte.Brooks offered a plea of not guilty, which means he will be back in court next month.Brooks is accused of assaulting women in Charlotte in the late '70s. Last summer, he was arrested in South Carolina after police said DNA evidence ...
Winds: From the NNE at 1.3 MPH Gusting to 1.3 MPH
Cemetery Man (aka Dellamorte Dellamore) [DVD]
Part gory zombie comedy, part dense puzzle-box art film, Michele Soavis Cemetery Man (Dellamorte Dellamore) is nothing if not entirely unique in its cultish blending of wildly disparate elements. The film veers from Sam Raimi-style gross-out splatstick, to romantic pathos, ... ...
sat down to discuss his career, he knew the injuries would come up. He's used to that by now. And while he wishes he didn't have to talk about his medical history as often as he does, he knows it's a part of his NFL journey. "It's inevitable, you are going to get injured," Hixon said. "There aren't too many guys that have played eight years in the league ...
Residential foreclosures were nearly flat for the Charlotte market in March, according to data firm CoreLogic Inc. Residential foreclosures were nearly flat for the Charlotte market in March, declining 0.8 of a percentage point from a year earlier, according to data firm CoreLogic Inc. CoreLogic (NYSE:CLGX) says the foreclosure rate was 2.64 percent among outstanding mortgage loans in the ...
A car caught fire after hitting a tree in Gaston County Thursday morning, firefighters said.The driver hit a tree on Sparrow Springs Road around 8:30 a.m., Crowder's Mountain Fire & Rescue said.Emergency crews helped the person out of the vehicle and put out the flames. The driver was taken to Caromont Regional Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries, officials ...
Low gas prices are expected to mean more driving for South Carolinians over the Memorial Day weekend.AAA Carolinas says it estimates that more than 443,000 South Carolina motorists will hit the road this weekend. That's 1.5 percent more than last year's holiday.AAA says South Carolina's average gas price is $3.24 a gallon, the lowest in the country. That's also 10 cents per ...
firstname.lastname@example.org The foreclosure rate in the Charlotte area fell in March from the same month last year and was below the national rate, according to a report released Thursday by CoreLogic. But the Charlotte rate was higher than North Carolina’s for the month. The Irvine, Calif.-based company said the rate of foreclosures among outstanding mortgage loans in the Charlotte ...
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Sheraton Yankee Trader Hotel, Fort Lauderdale Beach
I had mixed feelings coming back to this old hotel. I had been staying there on-and-off for 20 years, and ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Charlotte StarCharlotte Star – News Updates from Charlotte and North Carolina
The Charlotte Star is essentially a local Charlotte newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Charlotte, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Charlotte, North Carolina, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Charlotte Star.
Anne Bronte, sister of Charlotte and Emily, has been given a new gravestone after 164 years to correct a mistake in the original.
Anne, who authored 'Agnes Grey' and 'The Tenant of Wildfell Hall,' died in Scarborough in 1849 after succumbing to tuberculosis at the age of 29.
But Anne's headstone in St Mary's Churchyard gave her age as 28.
Anne's original gravestone was refaced 3 years after her death, when Charlotte returned to discover five mistakes on it, the other errors were corrected but the age was not.
The Bronte Society installed the new plaque alongside the original that had deteriorated over the years, the BBC reported.
Society's Sally McDonald said that Anne was the quietest Bronte and can still sometimes be overlooked in favour of her sisters Charlotte and Emily.
She added that in some ways, though, she is now viewed as the most radical of the sisters, writing about tough subjects like women's need to maintain independence, and how alcoholism could tear a family apart. (ANI)
- Italy has lowest graduate share in Europe
- Photographer Wayne F. Miller captured black lives in 1940s
- Could Hulk Hogan come out of retirement and return to ring tonight
- Pension funds relieved as EU drops capital rules proposal
- Illinois pension troubles reduce talent pool school officials say
- NASA head views progress on asteroid lasso mission
- Star Mystery Solved Stellar Twins Closer to Earth Than Thought
- Hubble Telescope Reveals True 3D Shape of Ring Nebula
- Cannibal White Dwarf Feeds On Companion Star | Video
- NOAA expects busy hurricane season
- Bucks Blog Getting Change Fees Waived for a Canceled Flight
- Hand of Lincoln Abes note saving teen soldier up for sale
- 3-D Printer Makes Life-Saving Splint For Baby Boys Airway
- Slide Show Best summer travel apps for 2013
- Bucks Blog Thursday Reading The Hard Road to a Vegetable Plot
- Need more positive signs before scaling back stimulus, says Bernanke
- Chidambaram says U.S. Federal Reserves statement misunderstood calls for calm
- GM recalls nearly 20000 new Cadillac SRX SUVs
- Wheat gains on overseas demand
- Muni bond investors on edge over tax proposal
- Panthers confirm signing of top pick Lotulelei
- Report DUI charge for Titans Barden tossed
- Sims wont return to Houston for senior season
- NL West Team targets for 13 draft
- LeBron unanimous Kobe on All-NBA first team
- Bangladeshs Green Radio heralds new era of environment education
- Booker sees boost from horsemeat scandal
- Haida announce termination of Russ George
- Media Advisory - Canadian Hurricane Centre - Prepared for the 2013 Hurricane Season
- No 10’s new energy adviser is a former British Gas lobbyist
- Boxing Ingas boy ready to mix it in the ring
- Kiwi heavyweight chases big time
- Barker No world-class worry
- Board unhappy with Froch rant
- Chilemba admits quit thoughts
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Charlotte Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Erica Bryant sits down with Paula Broadwell in exclusive interview
- Changing global economy threatens to leave Charlotte behind speakers say
- Deputies say large meth lab found in Catawba Co. home
- Witness rushes to help after crash in Vale area
- Man accused in 3 rape cases pleads not guilty