A pregnant woman and a young child were killed Saturday when their family's boat collided with a speedboat on a North Carolina lake. Wildlife officials said a speedboat collided and went over the top of a pontoon boat around 12:30 p.m. Saturday on the northern part of the High Rock Lake near Linwood. MyFox8.com reports all the victims were family members on the pontoon boat. The ...
State Sen. Vincent Sheheen of Camden, the presumptive Democratic candidate for governor in 2014, on Saturday joined calls for Gov. Nikki Haley to dismiss a volunteer with her grassroots re-election campaign. That volunteer has ties to a white supremacist group, civil rights groups say. Haleys campaign responded that Sheheen is in no position to criticize Republican Haley, charging him with ...
Cars like these, except decorated with town and city logos, will patrol neighborhoods in much of Mecklenburg and Cabarrus starting in June as part of the Recycle & Win ...
One man was in the hospital with life-threatening injuries Saturday night after a shooting on Jenkins Drive in east Charlotte. Police said the man was shot in the back at about 9:30 p.m. Medic responded to the scene, which is located off Albemarle Road, and took the victim to Carolinas Medical Center in Dilworth for treatment. Police had few details about what happened and no suspects in ...
Durham, N.C. - North Carolina and North Carolina State are each top-10 national baseball programs that happen to be in-state rivals, have a national seed to play for and a conference tournament title chance on the line. When the ACC scheduled them to play the pool-play finale at Durham Bulls Athletic Park Saturday night, they had their fingers crossed that the game would still be ...
64.4°F Mostly Cloudy
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (Fin de semana para los muertos) (aka The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue) [DVD]
When Jorge Grau's Let Sleeping Corpses Lie ( Fin de semana para los muertos) was first released in 1974, ripping off George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead (1968) was not yet a cottage industry. In fact, at the time there had been only a handful of zombie films that owed a debt to Romero's masterpiece, including the shoddy Garden of the Dead and Bob Clark's se ... ...
These subjects have N.C. exams this year. Those in bold are considered end-of-grade or end-of-course tests, which will be used to grade schools. The rest are used only to calculate teacher ...
Carolinas Medical Center nurse Nancy James saw her first NASCAR race on Saturday, May 25, 2013 at Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord, NC, thanks to History Channel's Trace Arnold. Arnold is traveling with the Cross Country Cookout Tour. Jeff Siner - ...
Want to go? The Catawba Lands Conservancy will host three more hikes in the coming months: June 29, 9-11 a.m., Pinhook Preserve/Redlair, near Gastonia. The focus will be on the big-leaf magnolia. July 27, 9-11 a.m., Buffalo Creek Preserve, Mt. Pleasant, Cabarrus County. Aug. 25, 9-11 a.m., Redlair preserve, near Gastonia. The focus will be on the federally endangered Schweintz’s sunflower. ...
Wildlife officials say a speedboat collided and went over the top of a pontoon boat around 12:30 p.m. Saturday on the northern part of the lake near ...
N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission Created in 1947, the commission’s mission is to conserve and sustain fish and wildlife. It also enforces the state’s hunting, fishing, trapping and boating laws. It employs biologists, wildlife officers, educators and others. The commission manages 2 million acres of public game land; 49 lakes and ponds, including 31 dams; 73 waterfowl impoundments; ...
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
Beach Rotana Hotel & Towers
I could not find the Web site for this hotel, and it was not listed on any of the Internet ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Charlotte StarCharlotte Star – News Updates from Charlotte and North Carolina
The Charlotte Star is essentially a local Charlotte newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Charlotte, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Charlotte, North Carolina, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Charlotte Star.
Anne Bronte, sister of Charlotte and Emily, has been given a new gravestone after 164 years to correct a mistake in the original.
Anne, who authored 'Agnes Grey' and 'The Tenant of Wildfell Hall,' died in Scarborough in 1849 after succumbing to tuberculosis at the age of 29.
But Anne's headstone in St Mary's Churchyard gave her age as 28.
Anne's original gravestone was refaced 3 years after her death, when Charlotte returned to discover five mistakes on it, the other errors were corrected but the age was not.
The Bronte Society installed the new plaque alongside the original that had deteriorated over the years, the BBC reported.
Society's Sally McDonald said that Anne was the quietest Bronte and can still sometimes be overlooked in favour of her sisters Charlotte and Emily.
She added that in some ways, though, she is now viewed as the most radical of the sisters, writing about tough subjects like women's need to maintain independence, and how alcoholism could tear a family apart. (ANI)
- Brit school offers bra lessons for girls aged 11
- Elderly woman treated after Benoni fire
- Gallup In U.S. private sector older workers better utilized
- ATV crash kills elderly man in Scott County
- Mayor Given Use of Older City Car Office
- Israel stunned by Hawking snub
- New space stethoscope helps assess astronauts in noisy spacecrafts
- Lost Apollo 11 moon dust found in California lab warehouse
- Missiles not meteorites on US-Russia agenda
- Earliest light in universe since Big Bang measured for 1st time
- Curb ads for payday loans urges poverty minister
- Simon Read Credit unions can help beat expensive payday lenders
- Transcending Hardships By Saving Others In Constellation
- Blackstone to pull money from SAC Capital report
- Telkonet finds market niche in saving energy for hotels
- Powerful women join Forbes list
- How Bayern Munich Beat Borussia Dortmund To Win The 2013 Champions League
- 5 Places For Your Cash Instead Of Money Markets Treasurys
- Direct antibody injection boosts cancer therapy
- Thousands Of Jailed Russian Oligarchs May Finally Walk
- Daily Dime Duncan rules OT
- Dickey allows all six in Jays loss to Orioles
- Old Dogs Old Tricks
- Quarterback Everett Golson is no longer enrolled at Notre Dame | College football
- Report Rutgers AD faces abuse allegations
- Chiles indigenous fight worlds largest gold miners to protect environment
- Why worrying about food miles is missing the point
- Britain calls for EU target to halve emissions by 2030
- Britain resists EU bid to set new target on renewable energy
- Chile Pascua-Lama Mine Halted for Environmental Offences
- Cain Velasquez defends UFC heavyweight title with win over Silva
- Cobra takes aim at Ward
- Kessler drained after defeat
- Froch outpoints Kessler to claim WBA crown
- Froch defeats Kessler in epic
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Charlotte Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Busch Seeks Weekend Sweep at Charlotte
- Crews respond to report of drowning on Lake Wylie
- Cleveland Co. official wants to help Okla. ‘sister county’
- Police Person shot in back Saturday night
- Police Man shot in back in east Charlotte shooting