Nigerian-born boxing champ Jegbefumere (Bone) Albert coulda been a contender, the B.C. Court of Appeal says, and deserved $1 million for the loss of his career in a car crash.With the support of colleagues Ed Chiasson and David Frankel, Justice Mary Saunders dismissed an appeal of the damage award and claims Albert's career ended for other reasons, including a $3-million fraud charge in ...
Jones stops Lebedev; Povetkin tops Wawrzyk Moscow, Russia (Sports Network) - Guillermo Jones upset Denis Lebedev via 11th-round knockout to regain the WBA cruiserweight title Friday night. Jones (39-3-2, 31 KOs) dominated the fight and Lebedev's (25-2, 19 KOs) right eye became swollen before he was sent to the canvas in the final minute of the 11th round. Also on the card, Alexander ...
Mikkel Kessler is determined to defeat Carl Froch in front of his own fans and prove his previous win was no fluke.Froch's preparations were hampered ahead of their previous meeting in 2010 when a volcanic ash cloud disrupted his journey to Denmark. Kessler won that bout on points and says he is now in even better shape ahead of Saturday's showdown at the O2 Arena. The Dane said: ...
Carl Froch says he is determined to "put the record straight" when he faces Mikkel Kessler on Saturday night.The Nottingham fighter was beaten on points in 2010 when he fought Kessler in Denmark, but is determined to exact revenge at the O2 Arena and add the WBA super-middleweight title to his IBF belt. Froch said: "Since the first fight with Mikkel Kessler I've been ...
George Groves is fully focused on the dangerous Noe Gonzalez despite having an eye on fighting the winner of Carl Froch's huge rematch with Mikkel Kessler.Groves faces the hard-hitting South American Gonzalez on the undercard of Froch v Kessler II at the O2 Arena on Saturday, and knows he is in for a tough contest. Groves has been talked about in the build-up due to his sparring with ...
75.6°F Mostly Cloudy
Winds: From the NNE at 1.1 MPH Gusting to 2.5 MPH
Most people have never heard of Glycogen storage disease type II, also known as Pompe disease, because it is an extremely rare genetic disorder (less than 10,000 people in the world suffer from it). However, most people have heard of Harrison Ford, who plays a fictio ... ...
WAM DUBAI: A host of sporting legends will lace up their boxing gloves this Friday night at Dubai Sports City (DSC)'s recently opened indoor Football Dome, it was announced today. Those legends, including former rugby union stars Shane Williams from Wales and All-Black Carlos Spencer, as well as ex-England One-Day International cricket captain Adam Hollioake, will take to the ring in the ...
Andre Ward is tipping Carl Froch to emerge victorious from Saturday's rematch with Mikkel Kessler.The American is the only man to have beaten both fighters and is rumoured to be set to fight the winner of the O2 Arena bout. Ward believes Froch has faced a higher calibre of opponent than Kessler and says he would be "shocked" if the Dane wins. "Carl Froch has been in some ...
Samsung Galaxy S4 versus HTC One: Which is a better buy? The mobile giants step back into the ring for another round, as we referee the fight between ...
Last year I saw Vitali Klitschko asking Lennox Lewis for a chance at redemption, the opportunity to clear his head of the memory that was haunting him by granting a ...
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Swiss-Grand Resort & Spa, Bondi Beach, Australia
Perfectly positioned alongside Sydney's World famous Bondi Beach, the Swiss-Grand is a great hotel, packed with uniqueness and extras. At ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Charlotte StarCharlotte Star – News Updates from Charlotte and North Carolina
The Charlotte Star is essentially a local Charlotte newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Charlotte, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Charlotte, North Carolina, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Charlotte Star.
Anne Bronte, sister of Charlotte and Emily, has been given a new gravestone after 164 years to correct a mistake in the original.
Anne, who authored 'Agnes Grey' and 'The Tenant of Wildfell Hall,' died in Scarborough in 1849 after succumbing to tuberculosis at the age of 29.
But Anne's headstone in St Mary's Churchyard gave her age as 28.
Anne's original gravestone was refaced 3 years after her death, when Charlotte returned to discover five mistakes on it, the other errors were corrected but the age was not.
The Bronte Society installed the new plaque alongside the original that had deteriorated over the years, the BBC reported.
Society's Sally McDonald said that Anne was the quietest Bronte and can still sometimes be overlooked in favour of her sisters Charlotte and Emily.
She added that in some ways, though, she is now viewed as the most radical of the sisters, writing about tough subjects like women's need to maintain independence, and how alcoholism could tear a family apart. (ANI)
- Italy has lowest graduate share in Europe
- Imran Khans PTI seeks pro-Taliban clerics help to initiate peace talks with outfit
- Brooklyn Beckham begins training with QPR following dads retirement
- Pak batsman Mohd Yousuf rubbishes media reports of retirement from intl cricket
- GPG pension headache acknowledged
- New evidence supports theory of cosmic impact 12800 years ago
- NASA looks at 3-D printers for food on long missions
- Firefighters unprepared for Texas blast
- Youth violence in Stockholm shock Sweden
- Chicago board approves largest school closing
- Polish surgeons complete life-saving face transplant
- NASA investing in 3-D food printer for astronauts
- Bucks Blog Mortgage Relief Offered to Oklahoma Tornado Victims
- Personal Finance Daily 10 things sleeping pills and products won’t say
- MarketWatch Options Trader In focus Finally a pause
- Need more positive signs before scaling back stimulus, says Bernanke
- US delegation to urge labour reforms in Bangladesh
- U.S. dollar slips against euro after Fed official remarks
- T. rex cousin fed more like falcon than crocodile
- Microsoft launches all-in-one home entertainment system Xbox One
- Agent Lotulelei signs 4-year deal with Carolina
- Source Carmelo has small tear in shoulder
- Yanks Kuroda hit in calf with liner later leaves
- Wilson fans 10 as Angels win 4th straight
- Sanya Richards-Ross is open to some drama in her life
- Bangladeshs Green Radio heralds new era of environment education
- Fire damages timber factory in Delhi
- Lily Cole to recieve honorary doctorate
- Environmental groups oppose $15-million coal shipment plans
- Tornado touched down in Kawartha Lakes Environment Canada confirms
- Boxer’s damage award after car crash upheld on appeal
- Jones stops Lebedev Povetkin tops Wawrzyk
- Kessler Im better than Froch
- Froch It doesnt get bigger
- Groves wants the winner
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Charlotte Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Independence Blvd. widening project will detour emergency personnel
- Investigators believe bank robberies could be connected
- Local groups come together to pray help Oklahoma
- Restaurant suffers smoke damage after kitchen fire
- NASCAR announces 2014 Hall of Fame class