John Zugelder fastens his helmet before he rides a bicycle from the B-Cycle station near the Wells Fargo Atrium. He said he typically uses the bike share program daily. LINDSAY RUEBENS - ...
A Charlotte dive team has been called out to help in the search for a Hendersonville teen presumed drowned in Lake Summit in Henderson County.The search is centered near a railroad bridge where teens often jump into the water.Sheriff's Maj. Frank Stout said 19-year-old Traverious "Tre" Carter was swimming Monday evening when he started shouting for help. Investigators said his ...
Congressman Mel Watt's confirmation hearing is tentatively set for next week.Watt is President Obama's choice to lead the Federal Housing Finance Agency.He currently represents the 12th Congressional District, which includes parts of Charlotte, Greensboro, Salisbury, Concord and High Point.The Wall Street Journal reports the Senate will question him on June ...
One person was killed in a north Charlotte crash early Wednesday, police confirm to Channel 9.The crash happened at about 9 a.m. off Beatties Ford Road between Rhian Brook Lane and Mt. Holly-Huntersville Road just outside of Huntersville.MEDIC said two others suffered life-threatening injuries. One patient was transported to Carolinas Medical Center - Main and another was transported by Med ...
CONWAY, S.C. (AP) - A Connecticut gun manufacturer is moving to South Carolina after Connecticut state lawmakers passed stricter gun control laws after the Sandy Hook School ...
79.0°F Scattered Clouds
I am usually attuned to significant trends in popular culture, whether they be on disc, in print, or on screen, which is why I was surprised to learn not too long ago that I had somehow completely missed the arrival and growing popularity of Stephenie Meyers series of teen-pulp gothic novels a ... ...
David Howard could run for Charlotte mayor. Here he reacts to favorable returns on city council election night with supporters l-r Carrie Cook, County Commission Chair Jennifer Roberts and Kory Jeter at the Wadsworth House on S. Summit Ave. DIEDRA ...
Authorities said an undercover drug buy that erupted in gunfire Tuesday afternoon was part of a larger investigation.Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Rodney Monroe said such undercover operations happen on a weekly basis. He said the one that happened Tuesday on the campus of Hidden Valley Elementary School was part of an investigation that has been going on for months.Police said the alleged ...
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is considering a site near Tyvola Road and Billy Graham Parkway for a proposed 295,000-square-foot medical complex that would be the VAs second location in Charlotte. The new health center, which has been in the planning stages since 2009, may be built on a 35-acre parcel on the northeast corner of West Tyvola and Cascade Pointe Boulevard, according to ...
Fire damaged a south Charlotte shopping center early Wednesday.The blaze began just after 5 a.m. in Nemo's Reef, an exotic fish store, off Sardis Road North near Monroe Road. The smoke also damaged the Monroe Business Center next door.Firefighters are waiting on the air to clear at the scene so that they can go into the building and assess the damage.Officials said no one was injured in the ...
A driver said his brakes failed, causing him to crash into a car in west Charlotte early Wednesday.The crash happened just after 12:30 a.m. on Freedom Drive at Toddville Road.The man's car went under another car, creating a chain reaction that wrecked a third car."I thought I had just hit a car and my hood popped up. I didn't realize I was under a car until I got out," said ...
Our nuclear programmes are completely transparent. But we are ready to show greater transparency and make clear for the whole world that the steps of the Islamic Republic of Iran are completely within international frameworks. The sanctions are unfair, the Iranian people are suffering, and our (nuclear) activities are legal. These sanctions are illegal and only benefit Israel.
Iran's president-elect was speaking after his historic election victory.
Jurys Inn Christchurch
Driving around Dublin I came across an imposing building with the masthead, Jurys Inn Christchurch. I was looking to do ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Should tax havens be forced to lift their shroud of secrecy?
Charlotte StarCharlotte Star – News Updates from Charlotte and North Carolina
The Charlotte Star is essentially a local Charlotte newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Charlotte, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Charlotte, North Carolina, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Charlotte Star.
Anne Bronte, sister of Charlotte and Emily, has been given a new gravestone after 164 years to correct a mistake in the original.
Anne, who authored 'Agnes Grey' and 'The Tenant of Wildfell Hall,' died in Scarborough in 1849 after succumbing to tuberculosis at the age of 29.
But Anne's headstone in St Mary's Churchyard gave her age as 28.
Anne's original gravestone was refaced 3 years after her death, when Charlotte returned to discover five mistakes on it, the other errors were corrected but the age was not.
The Bronte Society installed the new plaque alongside the original that had deteriorated over the years, the BBC reported.
Society's Sally McDonald said that Anne was the quietest Bronte and can still sometimes be overlooked in favour of her sisters Charlotte and Emily.
She added that in some ways, though, she is now viewed as the most radical of the sisters, writing about tough subjects like women's need to maintain independence, and how alcoholism could tear a family apart. (ANI)
- New drug offers new hope for AMD sufferers
- Older males make better fathers
- General Motors recalls 231000 SUVs over fire risk
- Dont judge anti-aging cream by price
- British ballet dancer David Wall dies of cancer aged 67
- NASAs Cassini may reveal how Earth looks like from Saturn
- Overlooked NASA Center Researches Flight | Video
- TWA Flight 800 investigators claim the crash story is a lie
- Afghan leader backs away from Taliban talks
- Obama Lives have been saved by NSA programs
- Bucks Blog Wednesday Reading The Benefits of a Four-Minute Workout
- Governing bodies more comfortable with hedge fund investing
- RFK Center Releases Documents Outlining US Actions to Block Life-saving Funds to Haiti
- Three behaviors you should change to become richer
- New credit card offers discounts for shoppers
- Google spending $7mn to fight child pornography
- Yahoo follows Facebook and Microsoft in publishing US govt sought snoop data
- General Motors recalls 231000 SUVs over fire risk
- At the open TSX dips ahead of Federal Reserve policy statement
- Tech Stocks Adobe rises but Apple Microsoft slip
- Kuznetsova out of Wimbledon with abdominal strain
- Serena apologizes for criticism of Steubenville rape victim
- Serena backtracks on Steubenville comment
- Lee wants to win with Phils not elsewhere
- Serena apologizes for statements on rape case
- Shenzen to be first Chinese city to begin carbon trading
- Community radio reporters acting as climate change communication agents in Central India
- Parenting and home environment can influence kids health
- Coastal Bend Environmental Science
- Laws boost for environment at coal and gas projects
- Quigg Frampton can wait
- Boy boxer is fighting the age ban
- East Africa a new population heavyweight
- Is trash-talking ruining boxing
- Exclusive Cuba to make professional boxing debut in Mexico City
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Charlotte Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Charlotte B-Cycle to offer discounted memberships with CATS
- Charlotte dive team to assist in search for drowned teen
- Congressman Watts confirmation hearing tentatively set for next week
- One killed in north Charlotte crash police confirm
- Connecticut gun maker moving to South Carolina