It's a scene that happens in emergency rooms across the country: In the rush to care for a patient, evidence that can tie a suspect to a crime is often lost, unnoticed or disturbed. Now an ER doctor at Carolinas Medical Center is spearheading a program to teach medical personnel from around Charlotte and the country the basics of crime scene investigation. It comes as hospitals and law ...
Charlotte City Council voted for Elevation Church's plans to build a 1,600-seat sanctuary in Ballantyne.The mega-church wants to build at the corner of Lancaster Highway and Johnston Road. Traffic is one of the concerns there.The Charlotte Department of Transportation wants to see some turn lanes, pedestrian signals and high-visibility ...
A North Carolina man is pleading guilty to bilking more than 100 people in a $6 million investment scam.Fifty-eight-year-old James Shepherd of Vass pleaded guilty Monday to securities fraud. He faces a maximum of 20 years in prison and a $5 million fine.Federal authorities say Shepherd has agreed to pay full restitution to his victims. A sentencing date is pending.Authorities say Shepherd in ...
Morganton held a public meeting Monday night on the budget for the upcoming year.The City Council also discussed a possible street resurfacing project.The project would focus on repaving driveways and entrances at public safety stations in the ...
More than 80 people are facing criminal charges Monday night after hundreds of protesters gathered in Raleigh for the NAACP's seventh straight "Moral Monday" demonstration.The group opposes the Republican-led General Assembly and believes it is taking North Carolinabackwards.Some GOP leaders have called the NAACP professional ...
71.8°F Light Rain
Clearly designed and executed to fill the supernatural adolescent romance void left in the wake of the seemingly interminable Twilight series final installment(s), Beautiful Creatures offers a gender-reversed take on a very similar storyline and inserts witch ... ...
Parts of Independence Boulevard will be closed this week due to a road widening project.The eastbound lanes from Sharon Amity Road and Conference Drive will be closed from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. from now until Thursday.Starting Sunday, the westbound lanes on the same road will be closed and will follow the same schedule.The project is set to be completed in October ...
A new project could be bringing 94 new jobs to the Shelby area.County commissioners are holding a public hearing on Tuesday night to discuss an economic development project code named project gnome.The plan involves a yet-to-be named company from Kentucky and would set up in an industrial park.Cleveland County has been working with the company for nine months to create a ...
North Carolina's superintendent wants public school teachers to be able to avoid paying state income taxes.June Atkinson said it would attract more corporations to North Carolina and bring more jobs.She said it will also help teachers since the general assembly did not include pay raises for teachers, but some teachers are skeptical about the idea."It is a double edge sword. You know ...
Police have found $880,000 worth of steroids in a man's home.Patrick Chambers of Mooresville is facing trafficking charges. Deputies from Iredell County say they found more than 43,000 units of liquid steroids, more than 500 steroid pills and thousands of dollars' worth of marijuana in his home.Officials expect more charges and ...
General Motors has been forced to recall almost 194,000 SUVs due to a fire hazard.According to the company, water that gets into the electronic module in the door can cause a fire.The recall includes certain models of Chevy Trailblazers, GMC Envoys, Buick Rainiers, Saabs and Isuzu Ascenders.If your SUV is recalled, the company will contact you and will repair it for ...
Our nuclear programmes are completely transparent. But we are ready to show greater transparency and make clear for the whole world that the steps of the Islamic Republic of Iran are completely within international frameworks. The sanctions are unfair, the Iranian people are suffering, and our (nuclear) activities are legal. These sanctions are illegal and only benefit Israel.
Iran's president-elect was speaking after his historic election victory.
Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island
The hotel is easy to locate although coming off Highway 405 South there is no indicattion that the Downtown exits ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Should tax havens be forced to lift their shroud of secrecy?
Charlotte StarCharlotte Star – News Updates from Charlotte and North Carolina
The Charlotte Star is essentially a local Charlotte newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Charlotte, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Charlotte, North Carolina, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Charlotte Star.
Anne Bronte, sister of Charlotte and Emily, has been given a new gravestone after 164 years to correct a mistake in the original.
Anne, who authored 'Agnes Grey' and 'The Tenant of Wildfell Hall,' died in Scarborough in 1849 after succumbing to tuberculosis at the age of 29.
But Anne's headstone in St Mary's Churchyard gave her age as 28.
Anne's original gravestone was refaced 3 years after her death, when Charlotte returned to discover five mistakes on it, the other errors were corrected but the age was not.
The Bronte Society installed the new plaque alongside the original that had deteriorated over the years, the BBC reported.
Society's Sally McDonald said that Anne was the quietest Bronte and can still sometimes be overlooked in favour of her sisters Charlotte and Emily.
She added that in some ways, though, she is now viewed as the most radical of the sisters, writing about tough subjects like women's need to maintain independence, and how alcoholism could tear a family apart. (ANI)
- Pension boost for city vets
- Fitch Rates Covenant Retirement Communities Ser 2013 Revs at BBB+ Outlook Stable
- Elderly womans car stolen in daylight robbery
- Chrysler expected to formally refuse governments request to recall older Jeeps for fire risk
- Insurers eye Asian pension markets
- Half of NASAs new astronaut class are women
- 4 women among 8 candidates selected to be NASAs newest astronaut trainees
- Obama defends Syria policy plays down NSA spying ‘ruckus’
- Final Construction Starts for Europe’s 2016 Methane Sniffing Mars Mission
- Brazil sees largest protests in 20 years
- Holden in cost-saving talks with South Australian staff
- Ambow setback teaches Baring a lesson in China investing
- How the Triborough Bridge led me to an investing epiphany
- Bucks Blog Can the Rich and Powerful Redefine Life for All of Us
- The missing bond funds in your 401
- Apple latest among tech firms to deny sharing customer data
- Obese male mice father offspring with higher levels of body fat
- Metals Stocks Gold futures dip as Fed tapering questions linger
- Are Robots The Next Big App Platform
- Brent hovers near 10-week high Federal Reserve meeting in focus
- Becks was offered kicker trial by NFL scout while at LA Galaxy
- GDP Green carry Spurs past Heat
- Former Alabama guard Lacey chooses NC State
- Miller exits with cramp but earns Cards win
- Cruz Rangers power past As to end 6-game skid
- UN General Assembly set to explore impacts of ocean acidification
- Coping In A Toxic Work Environment
- USA- Weyerhaeuser purchases Longview Timber for USD2.65b
- Citizens Climate Lobby pushes for a carbon tax and dividend | Dana Nuccitelli
- Local government 457 visas and coal seam gas parliamentary video highlights
- Global heavyweight Jones Lang LaSalle throws down the gauntlet
- Brook Ill make a statement
- Rees Defeat fuels my fire
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Charlotte Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Charlotte doctor helps expand forensic evidence collection www.privateofficer.com
- Council votes for Elevation Churchs 1600-seat sanctuary
- NC man pleads guilty in $6 million scam
- Morganton holds budget meeting Monday night
- Criminal charges for Moral Monday protesters