WASHINGTON - Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation Friday announced the planned separation of the $76-billion conglomerate into two distinct publicly traded companies, with one to be renamed 21st Century Fox and the publishing firm to retain the News Corp brand. The split has been formally approved by the Board of Directors. The Company announced appointments to the Boards of Directors of both ...
BEIJING - Chinese regulators Friday announced that they have signed a memorandum of understanding with their US counterparts giving American authorities increased access to documents from Chinese audit firms. The signing of the MOU between China Securities Regulatory Commission (CSRC), the Ministry of Finance (MOF) and the US Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) is a significant ...
ZAGREB/LONDON - Croatia, soon to become the 28th member of the European Union,- is looking to undiscovered oil and gas fields in the Adriatic Sea to revive its ailing economy, according to the country's president. Ivo Josipovic told CNN that Croatia is searching for partners in the energy sector to help reveal oil and gas "green fields" in the waters that separate the Balkan nations and ...
WASHINGTON - Amazon, the largest online retailer of books, movies, music and games, Friday offered its Kindle e-book platform to fan fiction authors to sell some of their work. Fan fiction is literature inspired by popular books, shows, movies, comics, music, and games. Publication outside of blogs and online fanzines is often difficult because of copyright issues. Amazon Publishing has ...
BEIJING - China is planning to steadily push forward market-oriented reform in its interest rates and exchange rates mechanisms this year as part of the financial sector reforms to better serve the real economy, a central bank report said on Friday. The "China Financial Stability Report (2013) released by the People's Bank of China stressed that it would be steadily promoting the interest ...
College is a time for learning. Of course, some of the most interesting learning that takes place during your college days has little to do with what you get out of the economics classroom or the physics lab, but rather the tidbits of info that are passed on while hanging around in the dorm. ...
DUBLIN/ WASHINGTON Ireland-based biotechnology firm Elan Thursday rejected Royalty Pharma's increased $6.4 billion takeover bid, shortly after the U.S. firm cut the acceptance bar for its latest offer to 50 percent plus one share. Royalty raised its hostile cash bid to $12.50 per share on Monday, from $11.25 previously, but made the new offer conditional on Elan shareholders rejecting, at a ...
LONDON - In a critique of the United Kingdom's austerity programme, the International Monetary Fund Wednesday urged the Europe's third largest economy to rebalance the policy to make the transition to a high-investment and more export-oriented economy. "The UK could boost growth by bringing forward measures already included in its fiscal plan, such as spending on infrastructure and job ...
Despite a winter that never seemed to end, Minnesota farmers are going into Memorial Day weekend with a good percentage of their crop planted -- a better outcome than feared a month ...
NEW YORK - Target Corp., Macy's Inc. and 15 other retailers sued Visa Inc. and MasterCard Inc. over credit card and debit card fees after dropping out of a multibillion-dollar settlement of a similar case. The biggest U.S. payment card firms illegally restrained competition for interchange fees by setting default rates and imposing almost identical rules for accepting cards, the retailers ...
Consumers buying health care coverage this fall on Minnesota's new insurance exchange likely will have more choices than are currently available, bringing a spark of competition as health reform rolls out in the months ...
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
JW Marriott Ihilani Hotel Resort & Spa
This has to be one of the best hotel resorts in Hawaii. 387 luxurious guest rooms, each with it's own ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Charlotte StarCharlotte Star – News Updates from Charlotte and North Carolina
The Charlotte Star is essentially a local Charlotte newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Charlotte, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Charlotte, North Carolina, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Charlotte Star.
Anne Bronte, sister of Charlotte and Emily, has been given a new gravestone after 164 years to correct a mistake in the original.
Anne, who authored 'Agnes Grey' and 'The Tenant of Wildfell Hall,' died in Scarborough in 1849 after succumbing to tuberculosis at the age of 29.
But Anne's headstone in St Mary's Churchyard gave her age as 28.
Anne's original gravestone was refaced 3 years after her death, when Charlotte returned to discover five mistakes on it, the other errors were corrected but the age was not.
The Bronte Society installed the new plaque alongside the original that had deteriorated over the years, the BBC reported.
Society's Sally McDonald said that Anne was the quietest Bronte and can still sometimes be overlooked in favour of her sisters Charlotte and Emily.
She added that in some ways, though, she is now viewed as the most radical of the sisters, writing about tough subjects like women's need to maintain independence, and how alcoholism could tear a family apart. (ANI)
- $20m aged-care home for Muswellbrook
- Seniors remain in hospital after attack in Wetaskiwin-area home
- Single mother with fluctuating income keeps retirement goals in sight
- Anthony Hilton Byrne’s right on pension funds – bigger is better
- Proposal before OMERS would require employees to work longer to get full pension
- Private firms may travel to lunar surface NASA report
- Alice Eve believes in aliens
- NASAs Chandra explores hidden population of exotic neutron stars
- Hubble reveals Ring Nebulas true shape
- Report Fallen bridge had earlier gouges impact damage
- IRS exempt unit faulted for group scrutiny in past
- Top Ten MarketWatch’s top 10 stories May 20-24
- Bucks Blog Talking About Money With Aging Parents
- Retirement Weekly How does the custodian of your funds work
- Retirement Weekly Investing for Income Floating rate securities
- Amazon ventures into fan fiction promotion
- Ed OBannon Case Against NCAA Will Gain Herculean Steam If Tim Tebow Johnny Manziel Join Lawsuit
- Stalking the wildly cute koala
- Slacker Internet radio picks up the pace
- Market Snapshot Bears cite performance chasing as stocks rise
- Ouch Yankees Granderson hit in hand leaves game
- Dodgers owner Mattinglys job safe for now
- Granderson fractures pinkie after hit by pitch
- Nats Zimmermann first in NL to win 8 games
- Ms designate Andino call up Sucre Triunfel
- 48-year-old Hopkins to defend title against Murat
- Boxer Presses for Answers on San Onofre
- Betting on boxing what the odds for the Froch v Kessler fight
- Bellew Ill right the wrongs
- Kessler unfazed by Froch talk
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Charlotte Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Police search for bank robber after 2 banks targeted
- Fire at tire store in Matthews on Friday
- Owner says shop broken into just before retirement
- Despite rules backpacks prevalent at Speed Street
- After collapse bridge safety concerns raised