Last week, as Mecklenburg County commissioners descended into name-calling and shouting, Commissioner Karen Bentley called the bickering “Dysfunction 101.” Tuesday, it didn’t take long for Dysfunction 101 to go back into session. The commissioners couldn’t even finish their customary introductions at the start of the meeting before Commissioner Dumont Clarke asked Chair ...
Lowe’s Home Improvement said Tuesday it would donate truckloads of emergency supplies and $1 million to support disaster relief and rebuilding in communities hit by the devastating tornados in Oklahoma, Texas and across the Midwest. One employee of the Lowe’s in Moore, Okla., died in his home after the tornado struck on Monday, and the company is currently trying to locate ...
Wake Forest, N.C. - The water is safe for Wake Forest residents living in the Stony Hill Road area, according to officials from the Environmental Protection Agency. EPA officials held a meeting Tuesday to announce their progress as well as the completion of water service lines. Last year, well water at more than 20 homes tested positive for trichloroethylene, or TCE, a cleaning ...
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Deputy Chief Kerr Putney is one of three finalists to be the next police chief in Winston-Salem. Putney, a 20-year veteran of CMPD, a deputy chief from Greensboro and an assistant chief from Winston-Salem are candidates for the top job, according to a city news release. A national recruitment process managed by Developmental Associates LLC of Chapel Hill selected Putney, ...
The FBI Tuesday was searching for a fugitive registered sex offender after finding pornography at his home in Concord. James Brian Webb, 43, cut off a tracking device after child pornography was found in his possession, according to an FBI news release. He was last seen at his home in Concord on Monday. Officers discovered child pornography images at the home and issued warrants for his ...
69.5°F Mostly Cloudy
Once Jennifer Lopezs Charlie, a beautiful, but unambitious temp worker, and her future mother-in-law, Viola, played with scene-chewing relish by Jane Fonda, start going head to head, Monster-in-Law is an enjoyable, if somewhat twisted, farce. Watching J. Lo an ... ...
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police have arrested two men for allegedly breaking into a car in the 1000 block of Orchard Grass Court and stealing an iPad and cell phone from it. Officers with the Steele Creek division were able to find the suspects by using a GPS tracking device on the iPad’s operating system. Jeremy Valssingane, 19, and Christopher Green, 20, were both charged with felony ...
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- A longtime advocate for people with mental disabilities in North Carolina is joining state government as the director of the agency that oversees services for them and others with mental illness or alcohol or drug abuse ...
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- North Carolina's lieutenant governor conducts state business in a 130-year-old home that's been freshened up since Dan Forest took office as the state's No. 2 executive branch ...
Raleigh, N.C. - A 15-year-old boy charged four months ago in the shooting deaths of a married couple in their Wake County home can be tried as an adult, a District Court judge ruled.A witness testified during a probable cause hearing Tuesday that Jose Samual Flores Mendoza and his wife, Maria Saravia Mendoza, both 34, were unintentional victims in a dispute between two rival gangs and that the ...
Raleigh, N.C. - Raleigh City Councilors are waiting for state and county decisions before taking any action against Raleigh's sweepstakes parlors.At Tuesday's Law and Public Safety Committee meeting, City Attorney Tom McCormick said city staff has prepared a draft ordinance that would regulate where sweepstakes parlors can operate, but should wait for more direction from the state and ...
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Thistle Charing Cross
I had stayed at this hotel once before, some years previous, so was looking forward to a new review. The ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Charlotte StarCharlotte Star – News Updates from Charlotte and North Carolina
The Charlotte Star is essentially a local Charlotte newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Charlotte, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Charlotte, North Carolina, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Charlotte Star.
Anne Bronte, sister of Charlotte and Emily, has been given a new gravestone after 164 years to correct a mistake in the original.
Anne, who authored 'Agnes Grey' and 'The Tenant of Wildfell Hall,' died in Scarborough in 1849 after succumbing to tuberculosis at the age of 29.
But Anne's headstone in St Mary's Churchyard gave her age as 28.
Anne's original gravestone was refaced 3 years after her death, when Charlotte returned to discover five mistakes on it, the other errors were corrected but the age was not.
The Bronte Society installed the new plaque alongside the original that had deteriorated over the years, the BBC reported.
Society's Sally McDonald said that Anne was the quietest Bronte and can still sometimes be overlooked in favour of her sisters Charlotte and Emily.
She added that in some ways, though, she is now viewed as the most radical of the sisters, writing about tough subjects like women's need to maintain independence, and how alcoholism could tear a family apart. (ANI)
- Pak batsman Mohd Yousuf rubbishes media reports of retirement from intl cricket
- Mediterranean diet may help boost ageing brain power
- Suicide on the Rise in Middle Aged Adults www.privateofficer.com
- Police looking for missing 20-year-old woman
- Senate pension plan savings scaled back by half
- New evidence supports theory of cosmic impact 12800 years ago
- Climate change after cosmic impact may have wiped out wooly mammoths
- Oklahoma short on storm shelters
- Immigration bill clears key Senate panel
- Freeport Indonesia Death toll rises to 28 after tunnel accident
- Saveplan.com Launches Personal Financial Planning and Budget Forecasting Website
- Bucks Blog A $2400 Fine for an Airbnb Host
- Tornado Terror Teachers credited with saving children when monster twister hit two schools
- Life saving tips to remember if you are trapped
- Suze Orman Where to put your money
- Microsoft Unveils New Xbox One Game Console
- Microsoft unveils next-generation Xbox console
- The June 7-8 Obama-Xi Summit Likely Start Of A New Asian Order
- How You Too Can Be an Unstoppable Entrepreneur
- What The Governments Big-Data Dump Tells Us About The Hospital Market
- Harvey intimidates foes lifts spirits of Mets fans
- With options few GM plans to bring core back
- Sandy Ike will stay in majors ‘a little bit longer’
- Woodson has support of his boss
- Yankees can set up 2014 pen on cheap
- Columbus State University Implements Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence Environment
- International Biodiversity Day in photos
- Will Emirates love for environment drive in hybrid cars
- Laos considers requirements to adopt timber trade regulations
- Greenpeace drops item on Swedish reactor from glider to make point
- IFCI board room turns boxing ring CCO Tomar lands blows on V-P Arora
- Steve Bunce on Boxing Carl Froch handed rare chance of revenge with dream rematch
- Hopkins-Froch is as good as it gets on many levels
- First AIBA Pro Boxing bout set for South Korea in July
- Bellew detemined to deliver
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Charlotte Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- State says coal ash from Duke Energy is contaminating water
- Father of slain 2-year-old faces murderer in court Tuesday
- Lowes to donate $1M to Oklahoma victims
- Budget proposal asks for property tax increase by 2.5 cents
- Residents ask questions about Independence Blvd. construction